Saturday, January 19, 2013

Gertz and Mays Blog


Welcome to Gertz and Mays...

This blog was named after the two stores that my grandmother's shopped at their entire lives. Most everything they owned was purchased on the "avenue" at either Gertz or Mays. Just the sound of their names brings a smile to my face.


I have an obsession with all things vintage! There I said it!!!!

Something about the things from the 1940's - 1960's makes me smile and feel very nostalgic for the bygone eras that were technically not a part of me. I suppose it has a lot to do with my love of my father and how I loved to listen to the stories of his childhood which I guess in turn makes me think of my own childhood. I love that my father memorized every advertising jingle of his youth, the products my grandparents used in their home and that despite economic struggles and war times - everything seemed so promising and happy "back in the day".

My family has always been "keen" on vintage...my Christmas tree growing up was lit with cloth wired C7 bulbs with tin reflectors and covered in Shiny Brite ornaments and always had a Lionel train board under it. Looking back, not only were the wires cloth, they even had tape on them with the names of my grandparents because when WWII ended their whole town had a party and lit up the streets and they wanted to make sure they got their lights back after the festivities were over. They are the decorations that my father grew up with and in turn so did I and so will my children - they make me smile!

My father was not only an amazing story teller he was also a very creative man - he was a engineer by trade but was an awesome gunsmith, leather crafter, stained glass artist and carpenter. He taught me the joy of making something with your own hands. Hence my love for DIY, crafts and power tools 


Thanks for joining me on my journey...

No comments:

Post a Comment